Friday 27 May 2016

SLAB Casting oven floor structure.

Friday 27th May.

Things have been progressing well.
I've not had many straight back to back hours to 'get at it'. There have been many distractions and a lot of thinking and planning. (And worrying, but I think it's going better than expected so far and I'm getting really inspired now!)

I've not posted many pics in the last 2 weeks so this will be a big post...

First an update on costs on the last post..

Running total ( £178.57)

Completing hearth slab.
1.42  tons  concrete sand mix - Leiths Quarry, Findon, Aberdeen - £41.02
Cordiners Timber -
45mm x 95mm C16 ( four by 2)  5 x 4.8m lengths £34.56
 18mm sheet 8x4 foot exterior ply £24
 5 X1.8m Length fence posting  £9.00 ( I should have bought longer, 2.4m these were too short, I should have measured!!!)

B&Q - 10 bags mastercrete cement £43.65

Vermiculite - DR. Grow on eBay
2 x 100Lt Premium A1 2-6mm  £43.98  ( another bag would be better but I managed to cover the oven floor area with 2.)

Running Total now £374.78




 The supporting framework below the hearth for the form of the 'slab'.  This will be the structural supporting floor of the oven.

 Here we added rebar that we got for free from my Dad. - He has lots of stuff lying around waiting to become useful.

 Marco is keen to help.

 Why not get both of them to chip in on the labour.....

 The structural concrete is laid.
 Thise 1.8m  fence posts were a bit short for my hearth size.  I cut the 5th board up to make up the distance.   _ Measure twice cut once....   I must remember... guesstimates are often wrong. More hurry less speed etc...




 Vermiculite insulation layer. It doesn't have to cover all the hearth area. Just under the oven floor really.  I filled the extra space with normal concrete. 



No comments:

Post a Comment