Monday 30 May 2016

First Chain and Arch

First Chain and Arch

I used the template I made earlier to get an arch shape that will work with the oven. Ideally I'd like it to be a lower dome like the traditional Pompeii but it's more difficult to make and has no apparent advantage over a  slightly higher dome so I'm going to go with this shape and set my entrance arch at  63% of the height.    This is what the good guys at the Forno Bravo Forum tell me is the optimum ratio for the dome and arch entrance.
I can work out the wedges I need to cut for the bricks later from doing this exercise.

 Vitcas brick archway.
I made a jig for cutting bricks. I looked in to getting a saw to cut them. I have a grinder and a wet tile saw. I can get a Still saw from my dad if I need one. Turns out the quickest way to cut them is with a chisel and a mash hammer.   2 taps either side then the 5th breaks them. Easy.
A form from plywood to work out the arch. 




Cut bricks for chains angles.





Starting to look like an oven now...  

1 comment:

  1. hello charlie I am very pleased with your work in regards your pizza over very good job and work congratulation. however I am french and I live in usa and I desire to build my own pizza oven and your shape is lovely. will you be willing to give the diameter of the your base ring size is it 90" ? or some sckethes in that regards and the size of your arch base height lenght and the space between the two arch plywood, it is kind of complex here in usa to find something like that.
    thank yo`u so much charlie
    my e-mail in case okkanym@outlook.com
    yann

    ReplyDelete