Wednesday 6 July 2016

painting the dome and initial firing for curing process.

 I chose a simple paint from B&Q, Sandtex, textured finish, in ivory white.  I can always change the colour later if I want to. I figured light first is easier than the other way around.  The paint is breathable and waterproof.  However, you must paint  at least 3 hours before it rains. .

Living in Scotland this is always a gamble as you can see below.  On a perfect sunny day with no rain what so ever forecast I began painting (under a pavilion tent for extra certainty).  About 30 minutes into the job the weather changed rapidly from Mediterranean summer to African monsoon, in seconds!  I was holding onto the tent hopelessly to try and stop the rain getting at the wet paint, which by now was running into the ground. I was soaked to the skin, the flimsy tent is no match for the monsoon. I am convince I will build a gazebo over the oven.

 Aye, the oven and arch look a bit rough.  I need to clean off the mortar residue left from the arch form. I'll do that shortly...





 The chimney is not really a chimney, it's just bricks laid in place. Later it will be a stainless flue system for the Gazebo.
 We start with a small fire being sure not to exceed 175c on curing day 1. This will be at least a 5 day process if not more, gradually increasing the temperature each day.

We have a brilliant tool to check the temprature we bought on Amazon. An infra- red thermometer.
We can measure the temp at the top of the dome inside the oven so we know not to heat too fast! -which could be disasterous.







I am fairly excited by the fire in the oven.
There is smoke coming out the front of the oven at the start of each firing.  It's making the arch blacken.  It behaves better as it gets warmer.
I think this will be overcome when there is a tall flue in place later, it will provide a strong draw and should help get all the smoke up and away...   (touch wood. )


 Marco 'Christening' the oven with a rich tea biscuit on Day 2 of curing. He said it tasted really nice.
Day 2 we try not to go above 200c.
It's raining every day this summer it would appear.  Is it even summer yet? It is July 6th...


Costs so far... £1777.76

Sandtex paint 10 litres (bigger tub) - £36 B&Q
Infra red thermometer (essential)    - £15 amazon

Total to date: £1828.76

No comments:

Post a Comment