Monday 24 July 2017

It's grown arms and legs noo...

It's grown arms and legs noo...

I realise it’s been a year since I last posted anything. I’ve been really busy!

Completing the job involved building a patio. All the earth had to be moved by hand as there’s no access from the street.  Then I decided to build a roof to keep the oven drier. I was using a lot of wood to get rid of moisture from the Aberdeen weather.  I was not convinced the oven was really waterproof.  I think rain was getting in from the front and being drawn in through the base.  The roof was difficult but I had help from Dad and a friend of his who gave advice on tiling.  The tiling on this shape of roof was very time consuming and wasted a lot of tile cuts. Had it been planned better from the start of the project I may have saved some of the work. I think the type of tile for this roof was important though and gave it the Mediterranean look I was imagining.

The oven is finished and is an amazing thing. I’m so glad I built it, it makes me very happy. 
I never thought I’d be able to complete the job and have such an amazing oven that I can be proud of having built myself. 
If anyone is thinking of embarking on this I would wholeheartedly encourage it.  It is a lot of work. Most of which you don’t see. It takes a little bit of skill but it’s not impossible to master. The way I look at it is if you make a mistake you can go back and correct it. If you follow the plans from the Forno Bravo and listen to some of the advice from others on their Forum it can be a great help in avoiding any major errors.
I was totally in the Dark when I started this project. As far as I am aware I think I am the only person in Aberdeen to have built an oven of this type. Nobody else has been crazy enough to start!  I had nobody to turn to for advice.
 A few of my friends have said they want to build one after having spent a day with the oven.   It’s more than just an oven.  When you have friends over for pizza the kids just love getting involved, everyone want’s to have a go at Pizza. I cook so much more than just pizza as well. Everything tastes so good in the oven. Meat, potatoes, vegetables, soups, curries, porchetta!!

Although the oven is finished I think I will keep up this blog as record of what can be done with the oven. I’ll post recipes and photos. If you find it interesting please let me know and leave a comment. It will encourage me to keep it up!

Charlie






 SCALLOPS!! Cooked in the oven.

Chicken cooked in the oven, then made stock and soup from the bones.

 Roof construction
 How to lay ridging to the profiled Roman tiles.
They look terracotta but they are made from concrete.

 Used a red dye in the cement








 Party time.

1 comment:

  1. I guess putting up a roof is the only way to keep the pizza oven dry. It's a good thing you know how to install one, though. Where did you learn that? I must say, however, that calling a pro roofer to do the job is a better bet but still you did a wonderful job. It's no wonder the kids are enjoying the pizza.

    Franklin Stewart @ Muller Exteriors

    ReplyDelete